Healthy Holiday Tips by Kathy Dolan
Do you find yourself over-indulging at the end of the day? End of the week? End of the year? Does it start with Halloween and go strong through the New Year? Let’s start with a typical day, and then add the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, and before you know it, you are feeling depressed and a few pounds heavier. It’s a cycle, or mindset, that can be changed with lifestyle choices if you are ready.
You have ended your day feeling accomplished about your tons of productivity, and are exhausted, causing your willpower to be low.
You know the drill, you come through the door at the end of the day, toss your keys down, and change into your comfy sweats and slippers. This is the most crucial part of your evening mindset. How can you get through the morning and afternoon, sticking to your plan, and totally lose it at the end of the day? Your mindset is telling you, “I earned that handful of M&Ms!” Your evening may be lacking routine, structure, and willpower. A little structure, which should include kicking your feet up and chillin’ time, is a must. Yes. You got this.
Here are my Top 10 Tips for a Healthy Holiday Lifestyle with creative ways to avoid evening, weekly, and/or annual over-indulging:
- Establish an evening routine, and shoot for 80% consistency. Holiday months included.
- Consistent, moderate exercise regulates hormones, moods, and blood sugars, so make sure to schedule time for physical activity. Do your best to keep your training sessions throughout the holiday/winter months. Come April, you’ll be so glad you did.
- Does your career have you talking all day at work? At some point in the evening routine, curb your tendency to talk unnecessarily, and settle into the rejuvenation of silence, whenever possible. Our 5:30 pm Yoga Sessions include lots of quiet time to meditate and rejuvenate.
- Are you exposed to lots of people, kids, and germs throughout your everyday life, and even more so at the holiday season? Try using a neti pot, air purifier, or humidifier to help keep the lungs clear of congestion. Create a purified environment in your home to end each day.
- Apply lavender oils combined with coconut oil to hydrate the skin. This practice regulates emotions of anxiety, depression, fear, and nervousness. Need oils? Purchase them here.
- Commit to a regular meditation & prayer practice to assist in quieting, centering and grounding the active mind. Journal your thoughts at the end of the day. What three feeling was dominant throughout the day?
- Learn and practice right nostril breathing: Close your left nostril using the ring finger on your right hand. Inhale through your right nostril for 6-8 seconds, then exhale through the same nostril for 6-8 seconds. 7-10 rounds, a few times a day or whenever you feel stress. Create a healthy habit that will enhance the Yang Sun energy that helps keep the body warm as the temperature drops in winter months. Learn more in my winter session yoga classes.
- Hydrate all day, but especially at the end of your day. Make it a ritual.
- Turn off all lights from electronic devices. Use a diffuser (click on the link and look under the ‘Wellness’ category) with natural sounds with or without light.
- Lights out for bed at 10:00 p.m. Try to get a full eight hours of sleep and awake when the sun rises. Sleep is vital for health and well being.